Monday, January 6, 2014

Haleigh-Washing the blood out of my hair



On my way home from the Mayo Clinic,  I was thinking about the day after I came home from the Hospital.  I called Haleigh and asked her if she would mind coming over to my house and washing my hair for me, she said "I'd love to do that for you mom" as she washed the blood out of my hair in the kitchen sink I could smell the blood.  Haleigh was careful not to get water in my ear, it's a difficult task. I reached up to help move my hair over and out of the way of the water and a chunk of hair fell into my fingers.  Tears immediately filled my eyes,  I wrapped my hair in a towel went upstairs and tried to comb through it, clumps were falling out.  Two days later still a huge chunk, I asked about it and I was told because of the amount of anesthesia I was given during such a long surgery it sometimes effects patients by their hair falling out.

 I have thought about Haleigh washing my hair that day so many times --it was such a small act of service, and knowing my daughter she has probably not thought about it since.  Sometimes those small acts of kindness are the ones that mean the most to me, and probably to others, those are times when I think of the Savior teaching us.

Matthew 22:36-39 A man asked Jesus, "Which is the great commandment in the law?" Jesus replied:  Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  And the second is like unto it, Thou Shalt love they neighbor as thyself"  Charity and service are the pure love of Christ, when we are able to serve others even in little ways, it shows our desire to be more like HIM.  Sometimes those acts of service are hard and can stretch us to places where we may not feel comfortable.  But I believe in all of us there is Charity and it is a gift from God. He has given it to us and expects us to act upon it. When we are able to do it with a willing heart it shows we are trying to be more like HIM and have true Christlike Attributes.

I don't think it was necessarily an easy task for Haleigh to come to my home and clean blood out of her mothers hair, but I was grateful she did it.  Showing these Christlike Attributes helps us to gain potential to become more like HIM. When we do it with a pure heart, avoiding negative feelings, or judgement and criticism, it is easier to understand what another persons point of view is, and gives an opportunity to strengthen our faith and develop a life of service and charity.

0 comments: