Saturday, November 21, 2009

Another dreaded day in my Journey



Haleigh, Kayla, Sonya, Jenny, Kara and Tamy taking the picture

I knew this day was coming but truly have been filing it away, hoping to never have to look at it. Not only did I look at it today I faced it head on.
The fear of losing my hair has been lingering in my mind and I am always able to push it away with the distraction of Kaitlyn's wedding. Over the past month or so my sweet husband has been trying to tactfully bring it up and discuss it, but I have not been open to that discussion, pretty much cutting him off at the knees when he brings it up. My good friend and hairdresser Kara Ellingson brought it up to me, and we made the appointment for yesterday November 20th at 3:00 pm.
All week I have been extremely sick and not thinking about my hair. The side effects of chemo therapy have hit me like a brick, however, I also know that the chemo is what is going to save me.
I had my support system with me, my sister Sonya, daughters Kayla and Haleigh, and friends Jenny Ruttinger and Tamy Scheurn, I wished that Kaitlyn, (on her honeymoon...fun) Kris (sister in Louisiana) and Mysti Brown (good friend out of town) could of been with me also, they were with me in spirit I'm sure.
My body is so weak and I hope my spirit will not give out on me during this process. I want to kneel and pray before I leave the house but I am so angry right now, cutting my hair is not my choice, once again the VILLAIN is in control. I am feeling very vulnerable, the prayer that is my heart is starting to bubble up to the tears in my eyes. Hoping and wanting this to go away, but we drive closer and closer to our destination, my heart is beating a million miles a minute. Jenny is talking to me and I am trying to keep up with the conversation, I love her so much and don't want to be rude, it sounds strange but I'm thinking about my Aunt Pam making chocolate and coconut pies for Thanksgiving, Sonya told me yesterday that she has Grandma Belshe's recipe and likes to make those....talk about a distraction, I enjoyed that one for a few minutes. We are on Gilbert Road, crossing Brown as I tell Jenny to turn left on Gary and Kara's house is the 1st on the left. Funny I have been getting my hair cut by Kara for about 13 years this was the 1st time I ever resented coming to see her.
We all walked into the salon and I sat in the chair feeling like I was going to the electric chair. I love Kara, she started to talk to me about some options and I began to cry, I could see the tears welling up in her eyes also and I felt so bad, I don't want to make anyone cry, I think it was too late they were all crying. I wanted to grab them all and say "sorry, I'm so sorry you are enduring this with me, please help me make this decision" the options were:
1. cut it short and have fun with a different style for a week or two (and maybe the transition will be easier when it all falls out)
2. Shave it off, start wearing a scarf or wig, the transition is obvious
I decided along time ago I wanted to keep my hair and try and sew it on Velcro strips, my thought is that maybe I can Velcro some of my own pieces of hair into some hats or beanies.
My mind is so swamped right now it's hard for me to make the decision, so WE as a group made the decision to cut it short and enjoy it for a couple of weeks.
As Kara pigtailed it and prepared me for the dramatic cut, I stared at myself in her mirror wondering how I got here, how did this happen? When did I lose control of so much of my own decisions? (back to that later)
The 1st cut through the pigtail echoed loud in my ear, I will never, ever forget that sound of the hair being cut. My crying became louder and louder with every cut of the scissors, the 2nd one was just as bad and now it's done, Tamy is holding my hair in her hands, carefully placing it in a plastic bag as not to lose one piece.
Kara faces my chair away from the mirror and begins to cut and shape it into a masterpiece only she could of accomplished. Thank You!
On my drive home I wonder "what will Eric think?" I noticed I had about 15 missed calls from him, when I got home he hugged me and told me I was beautiful, he told me everything I needed to hear and then more.
I have had a day now to get a grip, I am so thankful for my sisters who build me up when I need an extra boost I love them so much, our lives have been full of trial and testing but through it all we have each other, I am forever grateful to good friends who see only the good in others, and who I am honored to be with and count among Eternal Friends. My daughters are my strength, and will never know how much a mother loves until they have their own children someday....soon for Kayla. My son who builds my testimony everyday as I pray for him and ask he Lord to bless and watch over him. Lastly I love my husband who is MY ROCK, he gives me much more than I ever give to him and he knows what I am thinking before I think it.(kind of scary for him I'm sure)
I want to go back to something I was feeling yesterday. I realize that being sad, mad, depressed, upset and all the emotions that come with dealing in trials is normal, however, I think that Satan wants us to feel vulnerable, he wants us to feel like we are not in control of our own destiny or life. I was studying recently and realized how Satan wants us to run and hide when things go wrong, he wants us to hide ourselves and bring others down with us, kind of like misery loves company when we allow ourselves to be in his power it seems we become unhappy and controlled. I am so happy that I know the good from the evil and I am able to pull myself out when I feel the weight of the world coming down on me.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful! No matter how long or short your hair will ever be will determine your beauty, it radiates from the inside! Keep your chin up!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle Menden said...

Monya, there is such security in our hair isn't there? Just know that you ARE beautiful! Your friend is right, your beauty shines through your eyes :). And let me know when that marathon is so I can come cheer you on! You'll be training in no time.

michelle said...

Monya, you look beautiful!!! You are such a beautiful person inside, and out. It was so good to see you at the reception! It was soooo fun! So very beautiful too! You did an amazing job!

Marilyn said...

I have been with loved ones as they lost their hair....I have cut hair for one of those beautiful people......we have cried and laughed as we went through it....I know some of the pain...but not all of it. I have also seen hair break through a totally bald scalp that looked as though nothing would ever grown on it again...and come back more beautiful than ever before.....no matter what....it is going to be OK......love you, mm

lorie said...

love ya Mon.

Wendi said...

You are amazing. simply amazing

Ms. Young said...

Monya, I saw you with your new haircut at church today and you look really cute! Really - really...I'm not just saying that! I was also watching you sing in the choir....I couldn't stop crying. I pray that this time goes by quickly for you. Know we are thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

It really does look good on you Monya!

Kassie said...

I have never met you. I just stubbled across your blog. I just wanted to say, YOU are an angel and you have inspired me. You are so strong to live with that disgusting villian. Do NOT let it rob your love, faith or light. You are beautiful person. I lost my father to liver cancer and I never knew what he went through. Reading your story made me stronger yet weaker. I wish I could take yours and your family's pain. I will pray for you.

Kristin Walledom (337) 912-5909 said...

totally cute haircut....you are right! we were there in spirit. I could not quit thinking of you and what you were going through all day! You are an inspiration Monya and will always be beautiful no matter what your hair looks like love ya so much