Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Learning about Lymphedema

Yesterday I went to my physical therapy appointment, it was insightful and I learned alot about how breast VILLAIN patients can get lymphodema. I asked what time frame I am looking at to expect it, if it is to come. I was told that as long as you don't have lymph nodes you can get it. So even if you are free from the VILLAIN for 20 years you can still get it, it actually has nothing to do with the VILLAIN, and there is not much you can do to prevent it, some people get it some people don't. I can start my exercises as soon as I get the last drain out.
Today, I went to see my oncology surgeon Dr. Pockji for the last time, she took out my drain and said everything looks good as far as the cosmetics of it. This is interesting since I look at myself and think I look like a "experimental Frankenstein patient" Every time I look at myself in the mirror, I am sad and wonder if I will ever get used to it.
I told Dr. Pockji thank you so much for the compassion she showed me at the hospital and for her confidence and positive, yet REAL attitude. I do much better with the straight forward truth, as she was really great for my personality. I was sad to say good-bye to her, but hope I don't ever need to see her again, since she is a breast VILLAIN doctor.

4 comments:

Kristi & Austin said...

Monya, You have a way of making me feel so grateful for he simple thing in life each and everytime I read your blog. I love love love you and your family! Thinking of you and your family, OFTEN!

Kristi-

Kayla Roussel said...

Mom you are one of the most beautiful women i know and i cant even imagine what youre going through or feel after all of this, but just know that you are more beautiful now that ever. And i know everyone that knows you would agree!! As dad would say to us "you need to look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself how beautiful you are!!!"

Marilyn said...

Don't let the Villian take away your beauty....he can't unless you let him. Carla did not have reconstruction....she had a "scrambled egg" chest with all the scars, lumps, and colors...but she was the most beautiful person ever....because the Villan never touched her beauty...he only messed around with the wrappings and she didn't care...because life was so much more important than the wrappings.....her beauty was intensified and her love was too.
Trust me....You are beautiful...just ask Eric! :) love you!

sara said...

Oh Monya -
You are beautiful and always will be! I know that must be a hard change though. We are always the hardest on ourselves.

Love you-

Sending prayers.