Thursday, October 22, 2009

Chemo in the Classroom

OK so today I had to attend a chemo educational class that is required of all chemo patients before their 1st treatment. Eric, Tamy and I all attended.
What is ChemoTherapy?:
Chemo is: chemicals Therapy is: treatment
It is tailored for each patient based on the type of VILLAIN, stage of the VILLAIN, and the overall health of the patient.
It is most commonly given by mouth, injections, or IV infusion
I will be receiving the IV infusion every other week for 4 months, 4-5 hour infusions each time.
What Chemo Does:
Hopefully cures the patient completely of the VILLAIN
Controls tumor growth and the spread of the VILLAIN
Relieves VILLAIN symptoms
How Chemo Works:
It will destroy fast-growing VILLAIN cells
It also may affect fast growing healthy cells
Side Effects of Chemotherapy:
Different drugs have different side effects, but the drugs specifically for me will cause loss of hair, may effect the bone marrow, digestive tract and reproductive tract also may cause numbness in my hands and feet, shortness of breath, pale skin color, dizziness, fatigue, weakness, rapid heart rate, decreased Red Blood Cell counts, decreased Platelets which can cause nose bleeds, easy bruising, longer bleeding from a cut, pin-point or purple spots on the skin, bleeding gums. With decreased white blood cells I could get, fever, shaking and chills, cough or sore throat, pain urinating, flu symtoms or diarrhea.
I will be on several different meds to help with the side effects.
While I was in the classroom I could feel myself wanting to vomit, all this information is overwhelming. I look over at my husband and he too is affected by the info, he has huge tears in his eyes.
Just like alot of people, I have always had compassion for VILLAIN patients but never really researched or experienced it with anyone close to me. I am the type of person who will pray and fast for those who I know need the extra prayers, but I have a hard time talking to them, not knowing what to say is the challenge for me. I have noticed since I was diagnosed with the VILLAIN I'm much more open, I talk to people all the time at the Mayo Clinic, I ask them what type of cancer they have and let them know I care about what they are going through.
2 years ago a friend of mine passed away from The Breast VILLAIN, her husband has called me a couple times to see how I am doing. I told him yesterday when he called that I always felt so guilty because I did not call Jami during her treatments... I didn't know what to say. He said to me "now you do" so I guess this is something I have learned so far. I would know what to say now, I would know that a hug says it all sometimes, a smile tells me that you are thinking of me, and when you say "I'm praying for you" I know you are because I feel it.
I realize that the affects of the VILLAIN are different for everyone who has it, maybe some people don't want to talk about it...I do understand that feeling because I sometimes just want my life to be VILLAIN free, I want to be normal. Now I know that my life will never be normal again, for the rest of my life I will see an oncologist, the days of the "family doctor" are over, but everytime I see someone who has the VILLAIN my reaction will be so different than pre-VILLAIN life.

6 comments:

Tracey said...

Wow Monya.... You are amazing and just to read about all those side effects makes me want to vomit as well! You truly are an inspiration to me. You are in my constant thoughts and prayers. Btw... Kaitlyn's announcement is gorgeous. I am sure you are so proud!

Lori said...

Monya,
You don't know me but I know your sister, Sonya. I think we have a lot of mutual friends, as well. I just wanted to let you know that I have been very moved and inspired by you. Your words are beautiful and I can feel of your testimony as I read them. I think of you often throughout my day and you are in my prayers. You are a fighter and are so blessed to be surrounded by loving family and friends. You WILL beat this. Thank you for sharing your journey.
Love, Lori Payne

Dena said...

Ah...the list of side effects is quite over-whelming. They will come, but know that each day you open your eyes to a new day is a chance to fight for life. Some days it will be hard to open your eyes, but know that those are the moments you are carried. You will feel His love, His strength, and your faith will help you thru. We are praying for you!

gs said...

Monya, You two are being blessed with great strength and you can feel it. As life happens and things change big time, you develop a 'new normal'. The first 'new normal' is harder than the rest--at least for me it was.
I have a CD for you of a talk by Elder Holland. I've listened to it several times and it helps lift my spirits. I'll get it to you. ox

Linda Bennett said...

First of all~ know that Jami knew that you loved her. She understood, as you probably do now, that not all people know what to say, but she never had any negative feelings about people who didn't call.
And...you're amazing. I can't help but feel how strong you are when we talk. Like you said before~ attitude is everything. It will make such a huge difference in the next 4 months. I love you!

Marilyn said...

Just remember: It is do-able and the Villian will lose! That is the most important thing!

They have to tell you every possible side effect...but just because they are possible, doesn't mean they all will happen.....

All your hard work, exercising, and taking care of yourself will now pay off, because you are strong.....so bring it on Villan....cuz Monya is ready for you!!!...and Big V. get ready for DEFEAT!!!