Monday, May 31, 2010

Graduation 2010













I sometimes feel like certain people come into our lives for a reason. I have been feeling a little down and out, trying to make some decisions about surgeries and other treatments I have coming up. Haleigh had her graduation last Thursday night from Highland High School, we walked in about 10 minutes before it started and there were not too many seats available to sit in. We looked around at the thousands of people who were in attendance and knew we had better get a seat and get one fast or we would not be getting one. As I scanned the bleachers I asked a man 3 rows up if the seats behind him were taken, he turned around and asked and the people said no so we made our way to our seat. What a perfect view of the stage we had, the sun was piercing down on us, I had no idea that it was so hot outside (since I rarely stay outside) once the sun went down it was so beautiful and cool. The woman sitting next to me said "it's really hot isn't it?" I responded with a definite "Yes" she asked if I had cancer I confirmed and she asked what type of cancer I have "breast" I said. From looking at her I could tell she was wearing a wig, she was probably in her 70's. She looked at me and said "I have cancer too, I have ovarian cancer the worst of all cancers, I had chemo lost all my hair and was very sick then 18 months later it came back in my stomach so now I am going through chemo again" I looked at her and said "I am so sorry to hear that what is your prognosis?" she then said something to me that I really do believe is true she said "my prognosis is whatever God wants it to be, he is in charge and we can't change that, so I just live my life and take each day as if it is my last" She said that her sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at the same time she was diagnosed and her cancer came back also 18 months later in her ovaries, so they are both going through chemo together again. She was a lovely lady, seemed to be a concerned mother and supportive grandmother, she was a woman that people knew and loved and now she is in my life. We exchanged emails, she lives in Florida. She told me she would pray for me, I know she will and I for her along with all the other names of people I have come in contact with since I was diagnosed. How glad I am that of thousands of people I could of sat next to in those bleachers it was Caroline on that day at that moment who helped me to answer some questions to prayers that I thought were not being answered.
On the way home that night I asked Eric "do you believe people come into our lives or make an impression on our lives for a reason?" he said to me "what do you mean?" I told him about my new friend Caroline. We had a good conversation about how the Lord blesses us with people in our lives sometimes to help us make decisions about things we are unsure of, maybe they are put in our path to help us get answers to prayers. I will never forget Caroline, she made a lasting impression on me.
Watching my baby graduate from High School was kind of heart wrenching for me, we will never have another child in High School again. I feel like this senior year for her was a blur to me, how sad that she had to watch her mother go through VILLAIN treatments her last year of HS. I hope that will not be her memory of her senior year. She is a light in our lives, I could not of asked for a more supportive child and although she has been quiet about the VILLAIN that rages inside of her mother she is strong and obedient always making good decisions, that in itself made it so much easier to endure knowing I would not have to worry about her choosing bad friends or being tempted by things of the world. Every mother and father should experience a child like Haleigh.

2 comments:

Nichole Barney said...

Can't believe she is graduate! What a cute girl and fun exciting time! What a neat experience to meet that lady! I think nothing is an accident!

m.estelle said...

monya! you look like such a babe!!!

xoxo
e