Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ditch the Hats



I remember saying once (long before I knew I had the VILLAIN) "I would never wear a wig if I ever got cancer" After my diagnosis knowing that soon chemo would start and I would lose my hair, I talked with Eric about it. He really wanted me to get a wig, so off to the wig store I went (after all the insurance company was paying for it) This is the conversation between Eric and I
Eric: " I really think you should get a wig"
Me: "No way, why?"
Eric: " well I think it would be fun to have a brunette or redhead for a wife, and think about how much fun we could have walking through the mall or at a restaurant, someone sees me with a redhead or brunette, instantly text messages you to let you know I am cheating on you"
Me: "ha ha, OK as fun as that sounds, 1st off I don't think brunettes or redheads are better than blonde's , and 2ND off if someone we knew saw you with another woman I doubt that their first inclination would be to text me, but I'm glad you think you could get caught so easily"
Eric: "I'm just kidding, you are the love of my life"
Me:"good answer, but I am not wearing a wig"

I did end up getting a wig $700.00 later, (totally covered by insurance) it has hung on a Styrofoam head in my room for 9 months now. It's kinda scary when you walk in the room and see it. Oh well, maybe someday I will put it on and wear it for Eric, however it is the same color of my original hair, so nothing exciting.
So I finally ditched the hats, I have to admit it was a little bit harder than I thought it would be. I think if I hear one more person say "at least you have the perfect shaped head" I'm going to throw up. I know, everyone know I look weird and funny right now but it's getting so hot and the hats make my head sweat. Going out in public without the protection of my hats is hard....but I'm getting used to all the stares I get ha ha
I know I'm scary looking to little children, it's kinda funny to see their reactions, they are staring so hard they run into things, and then I've heard a few say to their parents "mom, why is that lady bald?" a lot of adults pass me in the store with slight glances trying to act like nothing is wrong or different, as if to say "if I don't look at her then she doesn't exist" ha ha HELLO
I do exist and I do have feelings ..... I love the people who smile at me and say "you look beautiful" it means they recognize that I'm going through treatment. When people who come up and hug me and tell me they have been through it or someone they know has been through it I love it. It's comforting to me to have people ask what type of VILLAIN I have or how long I have been in treatment, it shows that they care and that they see me. My favorite is a lady who walked up to me and said
"did you do your hair like that on purpose?" I was so shocked I said back to her "why, does this shirt make me look bald?"
(I had on a relay for life shirt) ha ha all I can do is laugh, it is funny you know it is, its ok to laugh. I make fun of myself all the time, maybe its my way of coping but it does help.
I'm sad to say goodbye to all of my hats, but happy about the prospect of new hair and a new life. These pictures are for me to remember the hats that gave me some comfort on the days when I needed it to go out in public, my friend made all the rosettes for me I had so many to choose from everyday thanks Amy.





4 comments:

The Wrights said...

Mom, you are a bald babe! But I am a wee jealous that you do have THEE cutest hats ever! I love you so much, you are so strong!

But, I am a little disappointed you didnt put the pics of emily wearing your wig, and when i put the wig on Recker! hahaha

Jill said...

Thank you for this post. When I see someone struggling through cancer without hair, I will now say something. I usually smile and say, HI. From now on I will act different. Thank you.

Willi Nixon said...

no more hats! soon you will have long beautiful hair!! i'm so happy for you monya

Marilyn said...

I have to tell you a funny story...we (Carla, I , and friends) were on our way to
Cedar City for the Shakespeare Festival....she had about a quarter inch of hair...and this day she was traveling, so she didn't have much make-up on....we all stopped at Burger King to eat and use the restroom...it was a busy summer day with lots of people coming and going...we were hustling out of the bathroom to make room for more..she came out as a lady was going in....and the lady saw her with her buz hair cut and double checked the sign...she thought she was going into the men's bathroom...we laughed and laughed...that was also the same trip where she wore the loveliest mandrin style jacket to a play...with beautiful make-up and earrings...so many people stopped her and told her how beautiful she was....and she absolutely was amazingly stunning...so hold your head up high...enjoy the view from your side and watch the reactions...it can be very fun!