Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Anti Cancer


I had an appointment with Dr. Northfelt (my oncologist) he walked in and rubbed the top of my head, I looked up at him and he had a huge smile on his face then said "looks good, I like the new hair"
He wanted to see me this week and explain about the next step in my treatments. It's hormone therapy, estrogen treatment. Since he is not sure if I am pre-menopausal or post menopausal it is hard to determine how to proceed. He said sometimes chemo therapy will put a woman into menopause, kill the ovaries. He is running some blood tests to check, it's some type of genetics testing, completely different than the genetics testing I had when I was 1st diagnosed. We will know in 10 days. I asked him when he is going to tell me I am VILLAIN free.... unfortunately, he said for Breast Cancer patients doctors cannot tell a patient that they are VILLAIN free, he said he would feel good about telling me that when I am seeing him in his office in 30 years. He explained to me that when I had my mastectomy it would be nice for doctors to be able to say the VILLAIN is gone since they removed my breasts, however if that were the case then he would of not ordered for me to have chemo and radiation, he said I would never put you through that if I truly thought the VILLAIN was gone from your body.
I believe I'm VILLAIN free but he will not say it. I came home and did some research on-line about remission and breast cancer, everything I found says Dr. Northfelt is right, I may have some cancer cells in my body that will show up later, but until and if that happens I am going to live a healthy happy life, not being restricted to constantly thinking about the VILLAIN.
Before he left the room he gave me a big hug and told me to keep fighting. He gave me the name of a book that he thinks I should read, I ordered it on Amazon today. It's written by a doctors who has had cancer twice. I'm excited to read it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is great Monya!

chris randall said...

monya, you are such a strong chick and the villian shouldn't even think of messin' with you anymore, luv ya,chris