Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Favorite Things


All week I've been thinking about how hard it is to describe FAVORITES.... weird thought I know.
Favorites for me have sometimes come and gone in a flash.  Depending on the age, the people in my life at the time and the circumstances for which they become my favorites.

When I was a little girl I watched The Wizard of Oz every year when it came on TV.  I thought Judy Garland was beautiful even in black and white.  I will never forget seeing the movie for the 1st time in color--it was so vibrant and alive--I loved it--I despised the monkey's, they scared me.  My favorite part of the movie was when she sang Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

One day I'll wish upon a star
and wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where your troubles melt like lemon drops
way above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me

Oh, somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
If birds can fly over, the rainbow, why, then oh why can't I?

One day I'll wish upon a star
and wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Way above the chimney tips, that's where you'll find me

Oh, somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
If birds can fly over the rainbow, why, then oh why can't I?

If Happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

The first time I heard this song, I loved the melody, but the first time I listened to the lyrics I became obsessed.  It was difficult to imagine daring to dream of a happy place, or that dreams can come true. Since those days, I have always been in awe of Rainbows.  When Haleigh and I saw a double rainbow in Hawaii just a couple of weeks before I was diagnosed with cancer, it later became a 

0 comments: