Sunday, May 2, 2010

Curing Cancer, Dancer by Dancer






Through the last 4 weeks of radiation one of the thoughts that has kept me from going crazy is that I knew Kaitlyn was coming to visit this weekend. Haleigh had her final dance recital at Highland High on Thursday and Friday night and Kaitlyn wanted to be here for it. When I picked up Kaitlyn from the airport she got in the front seat then suddenly the back door opened and it was Brian, they surprised us all with him coming. What a wonderful end to a long week. We had the most relaxing weekend, I'm sad now that they're gone. I miss Kaitlyn and Brian so much and look forward to the day when they will move back to Arizona.
Friday night not only was I on cloud nine having Kaitlyn and Brian in town I was happily surprised when I went to the school dance recital. Haleigh is a senior this year and is also the President of One Image (the dance team) at Highland. She has been working so hard on the recital, we had no idea exactly what she was working on until we got settled in our seats and the program began. The theme this year was Curing Cancer, Dancer by Dancer. Haleigh wanted us to be surprised, so she didn't tell us anything about the recital. It was such an emotional night for both Eric and I. Haleigh dedicated one of her dances to me and called it Monya's Song she danced to the song that is playing on my blog . She told me later that she hand picked all the girls that danced with her and that she knew I loved all those girls, she knew they would dance like it was their last dance, and they did it was beautiful. Eric and I were touched by her spirit, this is her senior year and she has had to deal with her mom having the VILLAIN the entire year, never complaining. I could tell that this journey of ours has really effected her. This is what she wrote in the program as a dedication to me:

This dance is dedicated to my mom who was diagnosed last year with breast cancer. She is the strongest person I've ever met and I look up to her so much. Thank you for being the best mom in the world, I love you.

It was overwhelming to see her with such courage and strength as she cried while she danced. She is not a huge emotional person, in fact I have seen her be so quiet during the last year, I have been worried that she was not processing anything that was happening. I was wrong she was, she just wanted to be strong for me. It's amazing to me the love families can have for each other, the support my children give to one another. I thought it was so sweet for Kaitlyn and Brian to fly down from Utah just to see Haleigh dance one last time. Kayla, Jeremy and Recker were there, my good friend Jenny her daughter and husband Ashley and Scott Petty and Jamie Patterson all sat with us supporting Hales, the only thing better would of been to have Blake there too. I truly am blessed to have wonderful children, not perfect but wonderful, I am also blessed to have friends who are beautiful inside and out and who support me through the good and bad I love you and you know who you are, thank you!!!

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

A time to dance....!!! YES! And by the way....I love your new hair!!!!!

tamy scheurn said...

Bon Bon~~~~ This has been one of my favorite post! I could just feel the love of your family for you! This post also made me think about a saying that I use alot to get me through hard times...
" This life is not about walking through thr storms, It is about learning to dance in the rain"!
I love you sweet girl!

devon said...

i cried reading this post, your family is the cutest!

-devon

Jamie said...

The dance concert was seriously amazing. Haleigh is one of thee most beautiful, strong, talented girls I have ever met. You really have raised such amazing kids. I am so glad I got to be apart of this with you guys. I love you