Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Muscles have Memory

Going into this 3rd week of radiation I am starting to feel the side effects of it. The fatigue is weird, it feels like something is not right in my head,like my equilibrium is off and my head is fuzzy. Fatigue is different than being tired.
I am still dealing with the neuropathy in my legs but I think I have learned to just live with it for now. When I am through with radiation I can see a naturalpathic doctor. Eric contacted one that he knows and he said it is best to wait because most Naturalpathic doctors use alot of antioxidants, while in radiation I was told to not use any antioxidants or vitamins. The way it was explained to me is that during radiation all of my cells are being zapped, the good and the bad, if I am feeding the good ones with antioxidants it will interfere with the radiation therapy.
Yesterday I started back at the gym, I took a cycling class. Tonight when I finished cylcing I could feel that my muscles were remembering my workouts a year ago. I am told that muscles have memory. As I cycled tonight I got a little teary eyed I hope I am able to continue through my radiation. The radiation techs told me to take it slow and not to over do it. That is so hard, all my cycling friends were there on the same bikes, in the front row. I got on that bike right next to all of them and had a hard time not taking off and pushing myself. I was cycling 2 classes a day, plus either a weight class or another cardio class usually two-two and half hours a day 6 days a week, as much as I want to be able to do all that again, I know it will take time and I have to listen to what my body is telling me. I promised my doctor I would stop if I get too tired and fatigued. I think he felt like he was tired of me asking "can I go back to the gym?" So for now I am taking it slow and trying to be grateful for what I CAN do, and not focusing on what I CANT do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monya!
This is the best news to me. I can't believe that you are already back to the gym!! What!?? I can't believe that you even FEEL like it!
See, more proof that you are an amazing, strong, feisty (the good kind-ha) woman.
YOU GO GIRL!!
Love you Moaners.
Jenster

Nichole Barney said...

Cherie told me you were in her spinning class and I was so happy for you because I know how much you love it! I am going to start going to that gym too so I hope to see you there!

Michelle said...

Good for you! It sounds like you were in great physical shape for fighting off this villian. Take it slow though:). I LOVE those pictures of the Relay, especially the one of you holding your grandbaby over your shoulder. So priceless :).

Michelle said...

Good for you! It sounds like you were in great physical shape for fighting off this villian. Take it slow though:). I LOVE those pictures of the Relay, especially the one of you holding your grandbaby over your shoulder. So priceless :).