Friday, April 9, 2010

5th day of Radiation

Today was my 5th day of radiation. Yesterday and today Eric was off so he went with me. The radiation technicians took him back and showed him all the machines and let him watch while they radiated me .... he said it was really interesting. While Eric was there he was talking to Chris (radiation tech) who was with me everyday this week, come to find out they have a mutual friend. I have to say that the technicians who work with me everyday are the nicest, most compassionate people I have met at MAYO. Finishing this 1st week of radiation has been therapeutic for me .... I think I have been really anxious.
My skin is a little red, but I was told by the technicians that the side effects will not really be seen until after the 2nd week. Right now I am feeling so much better, I have put some fears aside and I am ready to conquer this radiation mile-stone.
I am so looking forward to Haleigh getting home on Sunday. She has been gone for 10 days doing Humanitarian work in Guatemala. Eric and I have missed her so much ... she really lights up our home when she is here. I told her a couple of weeks ago she is not allowed to go to school out of Arizona, I am sure of that decision now. I have heard some parents say they can't wait until all the kids are out of the house, but I don't feel that way at all .... I miss the hussle and bussle of life when they are here, and I miss the friends who come to visit when they lived here. If I had my way they would all live in Arizona.

2 comments:

Marilla @ Cupcake Rehab said...

Hi, I found your site in my stats... and I don't normally do this but I checked it out and read a bunch of your entries.

I just wanted to tell you my mother is a breast cancer survivor. She had stage 11A, a 2.5 cm lump, HER2 positive. She had a mastectomy September 2006, went through 6 months of chemo (Adriamycin and Taxotere) and 6 weeks of radiation which ended June of '07. She's on Tamoxifen for a total of 5 years, she's got about 2 years left on it.

She's totally fine now. She made it through, and you will too. She's gone on to speak at survivorship celebrations and was in the newspaper as well as works with a Breast Cancer support group out here in NY.

Any woman who goes through this deserves to know that she rocks, and that she'll be fine. Stay positive. And if you have any questions or anything about this shitty journey, feel free to e-mail me. I've been through every step with her & know more about this stuff than most Oncologists.

&D designs said...

Monya - take care . . . hoping the best for you!! That is so cool about Haleigh, what an adventure. Thinking of you!