Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My Smile Experiment

MAYO rebooked my appointment that they cancelled last week at the last minute, so I went by myself today. I decided when I woke up that today I would make eye contact with as many people as I could and just simply smile at them.

This is what I saw today at the MAYO, a blind man with his seeing eye dog getting into the elevator with me, I did smile but instead of eye contact I said "hello, how are you today?" As I waited in the beautifully decorated waiting room I looked around and saw so many sick people, everyone in their own world, I wondered what each person was there for. I over heard the lady sitting next to me telling her friend that this is the end, she does not have much time left, she is dying, my eyes filled with tears as I listened to her heart felt worry for her life, they called her name for chemo, and off she went. I looked into the eyes of a lady in a pink breast cancer baseball hat, her hair was gone just like mine, I smiled and she smiled back with a nod of her head, as if to say "I understand" and then they called my name, and off I went for my lab work, I smiled at the Liz who was my nurse today she smiled and said "how are you, and why are you walking so slow?" I explained to her about the neuropathy and she hugged me with a sincere strong hug, I teared up again. ( I do that a lot now) today because I know the people at MAYO are in my world they understand what it means, I don't have to explain.

I had an hour and 40 minutes until my next appointment so I went to the MAYO cafeteria to grab some lunch. I watched a lady yell at the person working at the grill, she was upset with him because he forgot to give her a pickle, she looked at me and shrugged her shoulders wanting me to agree with her disgust, I just smiled and she looked away. As I walked to my seat I saw a man and woman sitting together, she was in a wheelchair and very crippled, she could not hold her head up, I smiled at him and he smiled back. I watched as many couples or friends discussed their medical issues over lunch, one couple I watched never talked or looked at eachother.

In that room there was not one person who was my age or younger, I watched an older couple sharing lunch, he was careful to split the cheesecake right down the middle and give her 1/2 then he made sure not to start his lunch until he knew she was comfortable and happy, they laughed and enjoyed their time together. I watched MAYO volunteers walking around to each table asking if they could help take trays, or if anyone needed water, just then a man walked by who distracted me, he had a ponytail down the middle of his back, I wondered when mine would be that long again, and why his was... ha ha. I saw angry people, sad people, people with tears, some with hair some without.

My experiment today came to the conclusion that most people smiled at me no matter what their condition some even indulged in conversation with me. The ones who didn't quickly looked away as if I had just injected them with some deadly desease. I'm not sure what makes people happy or sad, but I do know it's curable because it's a choice.

I decided today to be happy I was not the lady in the wheelchair who will never walk again, or the woman who will never hold her head up to see the beautiful blue sky, or the man who walks with a seeing eye dog because he is blind. Be grateful you can comb your hair everyday---even on a bad hair day, be glad you have hair, never take for granted your legs if you can walk or run with no pain you are lucky, if you can hold a baby in your arms or write to a missionary...you are blessed to have hands and arms that work. If you have a mouth you can smile, and maybe your smile will save the life of someone who is feeling depressed or lonely, thinking they have nothing to live for. Everyday we all make a choice when we wake up...am I going to be happy and serve someone else today, or will I waste the day doing insignificant things, being angry at things that in the eternal scheme of things really does not matter, at the end of the day can we say "I made a difference today?" I want to make a difference, be it even within the walls of my own home, don't look back, look to tomorrow to make those changes wake up in the morning and do something worth while, close each night knowing you made a difference. Never let your knees tire of bending and asking for the help you need, ask HIM to guide you to those who need help.

16 comments:

Tracey said...

Oh man... you truly are an inspiration and I love reading your blog! Thanks for your uplifting words.
xoxo

Nammie said...

I liked this alot!! Thanks Monya

Michelle said...

Thanks so much for sharing these thoughts. You made MY day better and maybe it will trickle on. Thank you! And that baby boy is so adorable! I'm glad Heavenly Father brought him in to your life.

m.estelle said...

you are so strong and so beautiful.

xoxoxoxo
e

Anonymous said...

Monya you make a difference in my life everyday! I don't know what I would do without you! I love you!

Love, Emily

Angela Brian said...

This is the most incredible blog post I’ve read yet. You should write a book, I would read it! It’s amazing to me that while going through such a trial you can focus on the little things, like giving people a smile. I wish so bad that I could have gotten one of the experimental smiles. I miss your smile, your laugh, your positivity. You are one of the few people that have seen me at my absolute lowest; even then you were able to make me laugh. You really are the best. Your family is so lucky to have you; actually anyone who meets you is lucky. Plain and simple you are truly a blessing.

LOVE.PRAYERS. and SMILES.
headed your way.

Anonymous said...

WOW!

Stacey Crewse said...

What a beautiful post...I love it! You are an amazing woman! Lots of love!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Amber said...

Now that the secret's out I can tell you how much I love reading your blog. I adore the way you say exactly what you think and feel. I wish I had that kind of courage! When I read your posts, they are your testimony, and I'm reminded of the things that are truly important. I loved reading about your smile experiment! A smile can be so powerful. You're an amazing woman!

Wendi said...

Thanks for those words. Today I will choose to smile and hopefully each day after that. You and your family are in our prayers. Faith and Hope that's what it's all about.

Todd and Kathy Nielsen said...

Monya, You are so amazing! My heart is overflowing as are my tears as I have read your blog. You are so humble and full of the love. You are changing lives as you share your thoughts and tesstimony of the Savior. Thank you.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Kathy Nielsen

cheri said...

Thanks again for the reminder that it's all about choice.. love you, admire you, and praying for you. xoxo ~C

cheri said...

p.s. i loved the amiable post from anonymous..I'm thinking foreign :) you know they have a link for you to hook up to that shows the whos, whens and wheres. but that might take the fun out of it :)

Marilyn said...

Amen to that sister! Ray would be so proud of you....he gave away many, many smiles.....and he was given lots of them back....but it didn't matter to him whether he got one back or not....he just wanted to have a good day and make someone else's day better. You did the same thing!