Wednesday, March 31, 2010

MAYO medical Journal

Today I went to see my favorite of all my doctors, Dr. PK. He is my reconstruction surgeon, we have a good relationship it's fun to visit with him. I have not seen him since December when I had my last expansion, he called while I was on Spring Break and wanted to see me since chemo is over. He had the biggest smile on his face when he walked into the room, he walked right up to me and gave me a big hug and said he missed me. I don't know about you, but I have never had a doctor hug me and say he missed me before. First he sat and asked how I was doing, then we just talked about life, and the new medical reform. ha ha
He's a smart man, I think he will figure out a 5 year plan, which might include moving to another country, another ha ha. I told him I really don't want to have to go visit him in India. I really, really love him as a doctor, he is kind and compassionate. I hate to see what happens when the new bill that was just signed by President Obama goes into effect, what type of health care will we have? Dr. PK told me today that many of his colleagues have already said, (including him) they will retire and move to another country to practice medicine. He told me today that in Canada there are 3,000,000 people, and there are over 1,000,000 people on a waiting list for surgery. He has a patient who has uterine cancer, the doctors in Canada told her she was not worth them caring for her since she only had a 5 year life span. WHAT? are you kidding me right now? Uterine cancer is easy to take care of, and 5 years is a long time, they could treat her and she could live for 50 more years....not worth it? A year ago she sold her house and everything she owned, moved to Arizona to see Dr. PK and now she is alive and doing fine. OK enough of that.....
Dr. Pk told me that he would like me to be in the MAYO medical journal they are writing. I asked why, he laughed and said "because you are my most favorite patient".... ha ha ha .... "well I know that, but what is the journal about?" he replied "You are only one of two patients that MAYO has ever had a successful nipple restoration on, and there are only 50 doctors in the United States who do it, I am one of them" "oh so this journal is about you?" he laughed and said "no, but it does help that my name is going to be next to yours in the journal" I agreed to do it, my name will not be mentioned but my breasts will be, and they took tons of pictures today, no facial pictures. The success of the nipple restoration is to show patients who do not have to have radiation that they can restore and keep their own nipples.
In the beginning of my journey when I 1st found out I had the VILLAIN the doctors did not think I needed radiation, after my mastectomy is when they found out the VILLAIN had spread and Dr. PK had already done the nipple restoration. I asked him today if the radiation will effect the restoration he did, his reply was it's a crap shoot, we will see.
Radiation burns skin, it's a good chance it will burn the nipples right off, so all the work Dr. PK did may not work. That's OK, I know he wants it to be successful after radiation, but I am not so worried about them, I am just glad to be alive and pray that radiation will be successful. I will see Dr. PK 2 months after my radiation, and start planning for the rest of my reconstruction.
Tonight when I pray I will thank Heavenly Father for my life, and for guiding me to Dr. PK he is MY FAVORITE and he knows what he is doing, we prayed about where to go for treatments and Eric was answered, MAYO has been wonderful for me. I also will continue to ask for guidance and to help my pain go away, I need HIM to help me be strong during the rest of these treatments. Today was a good day, I look forward to seeing Dr. PK in July or August.

3 comments:

Kristi & Austin said...

im sending you a message.. xoxo

Anonymous said...

[color=#a2c4c9]Interesting post! thank you for sharing this information. monyabonbon.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#a2c4c9]bookmarked... Keep up the good site...[/color]

Anonymous said...

i think you should validate your html, it got errors