Friday, June 11, 2010

A New Way of Life

We made it home from beautiful Hawaii. On the last day we were all lying under some palm trees on a grassy area at the beach. I couldn't help but think about going home and returning to reality. It has been so fun to spend the time with Kaitlyn and Brian but I know when I get home things will not be so easy-going. I watched the white fluffy clouds pass in front of the Sun, making it a little darker and less hot then suddenly the clouds would move and again make it brighter, I could again feel the warmth on my skin. So much like my life has been this past year, clouds of darkness have made it hard to see the future, sometimes waiting for the cloud to move made me feel alone and helpless, then with the Help of Heavenly Father he would lift those clouds and I would feel warmth and comfort, knowing that HE loves me and will never leave gives me hope and a feeling of relief. I really hate the waiting game that VILLAIN patients have to live. I know I don't want to live in fear of everything I eat, and everything I expose myself to, but I also can't treat this as if it were a bout of pneumonia or a broken bone this is not a thing of my past the VILLAIN is now a part of my life, my new life.
I finished reading the book ANTI CANCER by Dr. David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD. I was totally intrigued by the information in this book and wonder why more oncologist don't suggest it to VILLAIN patients. I will refer to some of the information I learned in this book in future blogs, just because I think it is so important.
Did you know:
1. Cancer feeds on sugar, cane and beet sugar, corn syrup etc
2. bleached flour including white bread, white pasta etc
3. vegetable oils such as soybean, sunflower, corn and trans fats
It so happens these three sources contain none of the proteins, vitamins, minerals, or omega-3 fatty acids we all need to keep our bodies functioning properly. They directly fuel the growth of the VILLAIN.
Tests have shown that women with high blood sugar levels (or who are diabetics) are 7 x more likely to develop breast cancer.
We have become a nation of people who do not want to take the time to prepare home-cooked meals for our families, it is much easier to get "take out" I believe with all my heart that we need to get back to basics and we need to be aware of what we are putting in our children's mouths. Processed foods, which is at every fast food restaurant in America, feeds cancer cells. A list of recommended foods from the book are:
1. green tea, this helps to reduce the growth of new vessels needed for tumor growth and metastases and it is a wonderful antioxidant and detoxifier.
2. Olives and Olive Oil black olives are richer in antioxidants than green. Olive oil should be cold pressed extra virgin, you should get one tablespoon of oil daily, used in cooking fish, tofu, meat veggies or in a salad.
3. Turmeric and Curry: these are the most powerful natural antiinflammatory, In laboratories it was proven to help enhance the effectiveness of chemotherapy and reduces tumor growth. It can be added to olive oil with a pinch of black pepper then add to veggies, soups, salad dressings add a few drops of agave nectar to remove the bitter taste.
4. Ginger: a very powerful anti inflammatory and antioxidant much more effective than vitamin E. It acts against certain cancer cells, and it also can help with nausea from chemo therapy and radiation.
5. Cruciform Vegetables: cabbages, (brussel sprouts, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, etc) they contain anti cancer molecules. They prevent precancerous cells from developing into malignant tumors.
6. Garlic, Onions, Leeks, Shallots, Chives: Garlic is one of the oldest medicinal herbs dating back to 3000 bc During WW1
they used in to prevent infections. They all promote cell death in colon, breast, lung, and prostate cancer as well as in leukemia.
7. Vegetables and Fruit rich in Carotenoids: Carrots, yams, sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkins, tomatoes, persimmons, apricots, beets and all bright colored fruits and vegetables (orange, red, yellow and green) these all have the proven ability to inhibit the growth of cells of several cancer lines including brain cancer. A study that tracked breast cancer patients for 6 years showed that those who consumed the most foods rich in carotenoids lived longer than those who consumed less.
8. Soy: they block the stimulation of cancer cells. Asian women who have eaten soy since adolescense have fewer cases of breast cancer, the ones who do have breast cancer, it is much less aggressive.
9. Mushrooms: A study done in 2009 showed that women who consumed 10 grams of mushrooms per day reduced their risk of developing breast cancer by 64 %.
10. Herbs and Spices: rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, and mint are rich in essential oils and they help reduce the spread of cancer by blocking the enzymes they need.
11. Seaweed: slow down the growth of breast cancer cells, prostate, skin, and colon cancer also.
12. Berries: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and cranberries are all good for eliminating cancer cells.
13. Plums Peaches and Nectarines: Researchers have proven that these are just as powerful as the berries and at a much less costs. They had a great effect against the growth of breast cancer.
14. Citrus Fruit: oranges, tangerines, lemons and grapefruits contain anti inflammatory flavonoids.
15: Pomegranate Juice: an incredible antioxidant and has been used in Persian medicine for thousands of years, it reduces the development of prostate cancer, daily consumption slows the establishment of prostate cancer by 67%
16. Dark Chocolate: needs to be more than 70 % cocoa it contains antioxidants, the molecules in dark chocolate slow the growth of cancer cells. You need to eat at least 20 grams a day (one fifth of a bar) AVOID ANY MILK CHOCOLATE
17. Vitamin D: Skin cells produce vitamin D when they are exposed to the sun. It has recently been proven that a significant supply of vitamin D reduces considerably the risk of several types of cancers by more than 75%. 20 minutes of noon day sun exposure to the entire body is sufficient. Be aware that over exposure can lead to skin cancer.
18. Omega -3's: The reduce the cancer cell growth in a large number of tumors lung, breast, colon, prostate, kidney. They also act to reduce the spread of tumors in the form of metastases. Keep in mind that the larger the fish, the higher it is in the food chain and the more contaminated it is. Smaller fish are much healthier for you. Flaxseeds are also rich in omega-3's.
19. Probiotics: Organic yogurts and kefir are good sources of probiotics I purchase them at Sprouts. These are the good bacteria that your intestines need, garlic, onions, tomatoes, asparagus, bananas and wheat are great source also.
20. Foods rich in Selenium: Selenium is found in the soil, vegetables and cereals grown organically contain large quantities of selenium. Selenium boosts the immune system and the effects of antioxidant mechanisms on the body.

Anyone who has a history of cancer in their family should take note of all this information and consider establishing a new way of life. We could all probably improve our lives and our families lives by changing a few things we eat and introducing some new foods to our children.

3 comments:

Nichole Barney said...

I was just reading an article about sugar and processed foods. The big question is how to get away from the craving?? I love sugar! It is so bad I know! Send me your email so I can add you on my blog I went private. Nichole@the-barneys.com also give me Caitlyns.

Amber said...

Thanks for posting this. I agree completely. I've been vegan since Feb 1 of this year and I feel so so healthy. I can't imagine ever going back, especially to the frozen meals and fast food. I learned a lot from this post. Hope you're doing well!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this valuable information!