Monday, June 14, 2010

Menopause and Mondays

Being in menopause really, really stinks. Yesterday I was sitting in Church and I started to sweat like a pig at a slaughter house, I looked around to see if anyone else was dripping water from their head ...... uh nope just me. I always thought I would look forward to menopause, my thinking was that I would not have to have that monthly visit from aunt Martha. So instead of her visiting on a monthly basis for a few days, I get Mr. Hot Flash several times a day ...... what was I thinking? One of the side effects to menopause is weight gain. More than ever before in my life I have to watch what I eat, I lost so much weight during chemo but have now gained it back and although Doctor Northfelts office was happy about the weight gain, I am starting to get a little worried so today I am eating more of the Anti Cancer recommendations. I have to remind myself everyday that this is my new life, I need to embrace it and be happy about what I can do, or I can eat, rather than looking at what I can't. I had a few people ask me about giving up sugar, I will not give up sugar completely Dr. Servan-Schreiber says it is ok to give yourself a treat once or twice a week, for me Sundays are the day the whole family is together so this is now my treat day. The other days fruit is going to be my new sugar.
Today I am going back to Dr. Goodman, during chemo one of my teeth cracked in half and I was not allowed to visit the dentist because it stirs up bacteria in your mouth and could make a person even more sick (hard to imagine that) It has been almost 2 months now since I first went to see Dr. Goodman, he removed my tooth, took an impression and sent it to the lab. The color of the temporary tooth did not match my other teeth at all so I was anxious to get the permanent tooth back in. I have now had this tooth sent back to the lab 3 times, finally I went to the lab myself (Scottsdale) so they could do a custom color. Long story short, today is the day I get to visit Dr. Goodman again so he can take my tooth out again, send it to the lab, give me the temporary again and hopefully next week I will have my permanent tooth. I love Dr. Goodman, but I am starting to think he likes to see me more than I like to go to the dentist office. This is my menopause Monday.

0 comments: