Monday, October 19, 2009

Dr.Donald Northfelt My Oncologist

Today I met my oncologist for the 1st time, my incredible friend Tamy Scheurn went with me. She has been my friend for over 20 years, she has had a mastectomy, she has a port in her chest and she is a scrub nurse..... we get each other....I Love Her! Eric could not be there because he had an important meeting. I was so glad that I took Tamy with me because she knew what to ask.
When he came in to talk to me I could feel of his compassion for his patients, but he also made me feel like I was his only patient. We talked for about 20 minutes asking and answering questions, he had a way of making me feel like none of mine or Tamy's questions were silly (like some Doctors do) in fact he loved that we asked the questions we did, and he was thrilled with Tamy coming. Although alot of what he had to say was not pleasant to listen to, he told me that my attitude is everything. my VILLAIN is in stage 3, some people who have stage 4 live 20-30 years after, and some who have stage 1 or 2 die because they give up and don't want to fight. I am a fighter and he could see that, he liked my attitude. I will be one of the survivors!!
He had to step out of the room to get the rest of the team of Dr.'s and PA's I would be working with over the next year. When he walked out I looked at Tamy and said "what do you think of him?" we both looked at each other and said "I love him" at the same time. Tamy and I had tears in our eyes as we discussed how much compassion he showed toward me and my situation with the VILLAIN. When he came back in he introduced me to the team and they were all awesome. He then knelt down in front of me looked me straight in the eyes while softly touching my knee he said:

"when you go home tonight I want you to tell your family that I am the doctor who is going to get you through the next 40 years, not the next few months but in 40 years you will be alive and thriving because I am going to help you every step of the way"


I told him I was going to hold him to it and he gave me a huge hug. Then on his way out the door he hugged Tamy a little tighter and a little longer, he whispered in her ear "I'm glad you were here for Monya today, you had all the right questions"

We are starting Chemo on November 16th, 2 days after the wedding, he agreed that day is good so I can enjoy the wedding. I will then have chemo every other week for the next 4 months. Then radiation.

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

With a doctor like that, your family and friends...this journey is going to be an adventure...instead of a devastation.....you are sharing so much with all of us and helping us all to grow...thank you!

Michelle said...

Your thoughts and perspective are so inspiring! Thank you for the kind "comment". I am so happy for you to have a doctor like that! And a friend to cry with. You will have many prayers along your way :). (And we are not far away if ever we can do something for you).

Tawny Antelman said...

Im so happy you have a doctor you Trust and Love working with already from Day one! Always makes things sooo much easier and puts you more at ease! I hope you are feeling better. thoughts and prayers are with you.

I am not going to be able to make it to Kaitlyns Shower, I just got the announcement last week but I have to work this Sat until 2:15 and the shower only goes till 2 :( Im reallly bummed out I wanted to come see You kaitlyn and kayla! I told Kaitlyn I wouldnt be able to make it but I will see you all at her reception :) MAKE SURE I GET AN INVITE TO RECEPTION, im sure kailtlyn is on top of it. So sorry again I cant make it but im sure it will be LOTS of fun :)
Love yah monya!!!

MacFadyenK said...

Monya,

With tears in my eyes, I want you to know how much your blog journal is impacting my life and surely many others. Your words are so inpsiring and I am with you in spirit each and every step of your journey. You are strong and your writings keep me up to date in a way I cannot always describe. I have never known the private side of you, but now see who YOU really are. With yor faith and Dr's help, I can see you are a survivor and you are where you shoud be. Keep on, keeping on, as they say. You are doing great and I can only hope if I am ever in your shoes, I will do just as well. My heart is with you, as is my love and hugs to support you! ~Kim