Sunday, October 20, 2013

A split second-


Today my body is weak and I am in pain--I considered not attending church, however something within me was saying "go and take the sacrament"  I am so glad I listened to that still small spirit and HIS promptings.  I am full of the spirit today.  Tara Carpenter spoke in Church about the principle of service, she is leaving to serve her mission in Nashville Tennessee, the word she spoke today reminded me to go out and to more than I am doing, there is always someone in need and our purpose here is to help lift each others burdens whether they be large or small.
Justin Durfee spoke, he is a newly returned missionary in our ward who served in the Barbados mission taking in 11 different countries--WOW I had no idea.  His talk about obedience to the laws and commandments of the Lord rescinded in me, I have been studying and learning more about the law of obedience, and listening to him speak about the very things I have been reading in my scriptures and pondering over the last couple of months really hit home.
Lastly, and the part that impacted me the most was the music in church today.  Our ward has a tradition of singing, The Spirit of God when a new missionary comes home, and Called to Serve when a missionary is leaving.
These songs are known through out the LDS church membership anywhere in the world--however, no where in the world except for ONE place can it be heard the way people hear it in the 6th ward, my family ward--I had to sit on the front row of the chapel today, because it was so full, I had a perfect view of my favorite organist in the world--Stephen Phelps--as soon as I saw Tara and Justin were on the program to speak, I knew exactly why I was prompted by the spirit to attend today's meeting.
The music started the congregation began to sing, and my heart began burst as the tears welled up in my eyes and I could not see the words on the Hymn book, I took off my reading glasses, closed my eyes and enjoyed Stephen Phelps bearing testimony from his heart to mine through his music--it was a "Monya Moment" I will not soon forget, everything was tuned out, the outside noise of the world, my brain trying to make sense of things in my life, EVERYTHING was gone, all I could hear was my own heart beat and Stephen Phelps music.
A couple of weeks ago we had General Conference, one of the songs they sang was Called To Serve, and I have to admit, I wished that Stephen Phelps was playing the organ, so that all the world could hear what we hear in our ward every Sunday--no-one, not even the Mormon Tabernacle choir has the blessing of his music--and I'm convinced there is no ward on the face of the earth that has heard or felt the spirit when singing Called to Serve like the members who attend our ward on those special days.  Today, while singing Called to Serve I watched Stephen and our eyes met, he smiled big and I was touched with his spirit in that split second--a split second that I would not have had if I had not listened to the spirit and came to church today.

1 comments:

Life at The Hadenfeldt's said...

I love music so much! I can rarely make it through a hymn without tears! I am so glad that church was able to bring you such peace as you were in pain. Hugs