Monday, October 3, 2011

BLAKE HOMECOMING🚩




I want to explain to some of my friends who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints, exactly what a mission is so you can understand the emotion behind why I was acting like a weirdo mother at the sight of my son after 2 years of service.  When a young man chooses to serve a mission (usually at the age of 19) they have usually prepared for this their entire life.  While these boys serve the Lord they are given strict rules to show their obedience  and devotion to the work they are doing.  The are given the opportunity to call their families on Christmas and Mothers Day, other than those days they do not speak to family or friends while they are gone, they are also given the opportunity once a week to email family.  Just like anything in life when we are able to devote our time or talents without distractions of girlfriends, boyfriends or life  we are able to accomplish so much more.  These young men cannot have physical contact with females while they serve, again that could and would be another distraction and they are on their mission to do the Lords work and spread the word of the gospel and what we believe in.
When Blake left, I felt so lost as a mother, knowing I could not be the one to answer his questions, or comfort him when he needed it, I guess we both learned over the past 2 years to do the best we can then turn the rest over to the Lord--HE will help us find our way, HE will reach down and lift us up when we trust in HIM. I'm looking forward to sharing the spiritual experiences we both have had with eachother.
Having him home and making our family complete again has been so sweet.  The last couple of days I have felt like the most blessed mama on the earth.  It's a difficult emotion to explain, almost like trying to explain what it's like to give birth and hold your baby for the 1st time.  I can see the sadness in him, he is happy to be with his family however, he misses the Dominican people so badly and is having a difficult time transitioning back into life, a missionaries life is very structured, they know from hour to hour everyday what they are doing and where they are supposed to be.   When he was released from his mission and reported to President Merrill I was so touched by his testimony, he sobbed as he explained the journey he has been on.  The sacrifice these boys make is unbelievable, they leave family, friends, school and life as they know it to go out and serve for 2 years.  Blake has served and learned so much from these 2 years of sacrifice, the experiences he has had will bless his life forever, the people he has touched will be changed forever, I would give anything to somehow be that type of example to people.
We have had so many people here at the house visiting with him, I have not really had a chance to sit down and talk with him, tomorrow Eric and I are taking him to Mexico for some much needed alone time.... I want to hear about his wonderful and maybe not so wonderful experiences. For now all I can say is I am overwhelmed with the Love our Heavenly Father has for us, I am grateful HE has brought my son home safely and I look forward to our future.

4 comments:

tamy scheurn said...

HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!!
Can't stop crying!! I feel sure you could of never had a better weekend in your life Bon Bon... as Elder Williams returned home so honorably! The spirit I felt as I spoke to him was so tender!! Full time missionaries are such selfless, noble, humble people! Blake is truly the one that received the blessings of his service for the last two years and I could feel his humility and his knowledge of this as we spoke!! I do know that he has made a huge difference in many people's lives in the Dominican Republic...and for this, these people and their posterity will be eternally thankful to Elder Williams!!
WELCOME HOME ELDER WILLIAMS, The Scheurns LOVE YOU!!!

Tracey said...

That is the sweetest video! Love it.

Jill said...

That made me cry, seeing your love and excitement for him. So glad he served the Lord and is home! You made it!!!!

Robin said...

I just watched Blake's homecoming video. I thought about all the tears we shed for our children (If they only knew!) sad, worry, mad, and best of all happy. It warmed my heart to see your "happy" tears.